Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Blue Heaven

As you know, my dishes didn't survive the first week of packing. I'll bet they'll be finding tiny orange shards in that living room for years.

So, Barbara and Kevin O'Brien gave me a set of vintage dishes called Blue Heaven. I love them. I have 4 place settings: dinner plate, bread and butter plate, little bowl, and coffee cup and saucer. Also, a bowl for vegetables, a creamer, a sugar bowl, and an ashtray (it'll make a nice spoon rest for the table during dinner). According to Kevin O'Brien, Blue Heaven was a Red Owl grocery store giveaway in the 1950s. Most of those giveaways offered dishes as a reward for spending a certain amount in groceries, and then you could pay a flat amount for larger items like platters/chop plates or teapots. Owning and loving Red Owl giveaway dishes comes naturally to me because I grew up using dishes called "Golden Wheat," which had been given away in boxes of Duz Soap during, I believe, the late 1950s. My mom had a whole set. She must have bought a lot of Duz.

Kevin says, and there's no reason to doubt him because that man loves his vintage dishes, that Raymond's mother on the tv show Everyone Loves Raymond uses Blue Heaven coffee cups. I never saw the show, but she has very good taste.

The dinner plates are marked on the back with some of the loveliest words in the English language: Made in U.S.A.

Thank you, Barbara and Kevin!

2 comments:

Sayre said...

That is so wonderful! I am a fan of grocery store china myself - even though we have an inherited set of "fine china" and a "casual china" that was our wedding stuff, both my husband and I prefer to eat off the grocery store china!

Your mention of Golden Wheat makes me wonder... I have three small bowls that came from my MIL that I feed my cats in - but they're obviously nice. I should look it up and see if it's the same stuff.

Sayre said...

I looked - it IS Golden Wheat!!!!